We encourage a tobacco free Del Norte by educating the community and empowering youth to create healthy change.
Cigarette smoking is responsible for more then 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including 41,000 deaths resulting from second hand smoke. This is about one in five deaths annually or 1,300 deaths every day.
California state average of residents that smoke is 12.2%.
In 2014 Del Norte County’s smoking population was 16.7%. In 2016 it went up to 20.5%.
Now Del Norte County's smoking population is at 24.7%. It has gone up 8% in 4 years. Del Norte is double the average of California. (1)
1. California Department of Public Health, California Tobacco Control Program, Califor-nia Tobacco Facts and Figures 2016, Sacramento, CA: California Department of Public Health; 2016
2. Healthy Stores for a Healthy Community: Del Norte.” Calaveras, healthystoreshealthycommunity.com/counties/del-norte/
3. Smoking & Tobacco Use.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 21 Feb. 2017, www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/secondhand_smoke/general_facts/index.htm.
4. Klonoff-Cohen, H S, et al. “The Effect of Passive Smoking and Tobacco Exposure through Breast Milk on Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.” JAMA., U.S. National Library of Medicine, 8 Mar. 1995, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7861574.
5. Children's Safety Network, www.childrenssafetynetwork.org/infographics/e-cigarette-poisoning.
6. “Secondhand Marijuana Smoke Fact Sheet.” American Nonsmokers' Rights Foundation | No-Smoke.org, no-smoke.org/secondhand-marijuana-smoke-fact-sheet/.
7. See American Heart Association, Eliminating the sale of Tobacco
Products in Pharmacies 1 (2009) available at
8. Flavors Hook Kids
9. Zhu, S-H, et al., “Evolution of Electronic Cigarette Brands from 2013-2014 to 2016-2017: Analysis of Brand Websites,” Journal of Medical Internet Research, 20(3), published online March 12, 2018.