We encourage a tobacco free Del Norte by educating the community and empowering youth to create healthy change.
California state average of residents that smoke is 11.2%.
In 2014, Del Norte County’s adult smoking population was 16.7%. In 2016, it went up to 20.5%.
Now, Del Norte County's smoking population is at 22%. Del Norte is nearly double the average of California. (1)
Cigarette smoking is responsible for more then 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including 41,000 deaths resulting from second hand smoke. This is about one in five deaths annually or 1,300 deaths every day.
1.California Health Interview Survey. CHIS 2016, CHIS 2017, and CHIS 2018 Adult Files. Los Angeles, CA: UCLA Center for Health Policy Research; February 2020.
2. Del Norte County. California Healthy Kids Survey, 2015-16: Main Report. San Francisco: WestEd Health and Justice Program for the California Department of Education.
Del Norte County. California Healthy Kids Survey, 2020-2021: Main Report. San Francisco: WestEd Health and Justice Program for the California Department of Education.
3. Smoking & Tobacco Use.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 5, Jan. 2021, www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/secondhand_smoke/general_facts/index.htm.
4. Klonoff-Cohen, H S, et al. “The Effect of Passive Smoking and Tobacco Exposure through Breast Milk on Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.” JAMA., U.S. National Library of Medicine, 8 Mar. 1995, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7861574.
5. Children's Safety Network, www.childrenssafetynetwork.org/infographics/e-cigarette-poisoning.
6. “Secondhand Marijuana Smoke Fact Sheet.” American Nonsmokers' Rights Foundation | No-Smoke.org, no-smoke.org/secondhand-marijuana-smoke-fact-sheet/.
7. See American Heart Association, Eliminating the sale of Tobacco
Products in Pharmacies 1 (2009) available at
8. Flavors Hook Kids
9. Zhu, S-H, et al., “Evolution of Electronic Cigarette Brands from 2013-2014 to 2016-2017: Analysis of Brand Websites,” Journal of Medical Internet Research, 20(3), published online March 12, 2018.